Skip to main content

Playing the Ukulele

Two and a half years ago we visited the Hog Cay anchorage in the Ragged Islands. While we were there the cruisers would meet on the beach every afternoon at four pm. Very often one or more of the cruisers would bring a guitar and we would have a sing-along. It was so much fun I decided I wanted to have a musical instrument on the boat. I played guitar when I was in high school and still have the guitar in our storeroom at home. A guitar would take up far too much room on our boat, though. A ukulele is a more manageable size and would be easy to learn, I hoped. As soon as we returned home in the spring I bought a ukulele, took a few lessons, and joined a small group in our town that gathered once or twice a month to play together.  Little did I know how popular the ukulele had become. There are ukulele groups everywhere! I enjoy playing and singing and, if I am lucky, even get George to sing along. Right now I am working on my Christmas repertoire. 

We had hoped to leave the Rock Sound anchorage for a few days and return early next week when a cold front will bring west winds. The numerous squalls we have had everyday, along with the strong winds they bring from various directions convinced us it didn’t make sense to leave this protected anchorage. We have been here a week and we are normally ready to leave a place after four days. By the time we leave we will have been here two weeks. Playing the ukulele is one of the ways I keep myself entertained when I have a lot of time on my hands. 

Playing the ukulele in the cockpit. 



Sunrise this morning. We are in for another day of clouds and squalls. 

Comments