Skip to main content

The Gennaker

Today, on our return from Dun Cove in Harris Creek, we finally had the right conditions to try our gennaker.

We were really pleased with how easy it was to use. It comes in a sock that is raised when the gennaker is opened and brought down when you want to douse it. I will take a photo of it in its sock the next time we use it. It made sailing downwind in light winds much more interesting. We are so glad we decided to have one made.

Our trip out to Harris Creek yesterday seemed so much faster, but actually took about the same amount of time. We were sailing and had to tack the entire way in winds that were about 14 knots with gusts in the low 20's. We encountered a friend on the river and we each took photos of each other's boats.

We love the way Breeze On sails.

Dun Cove in Harris Creek was beautiful. This might become another one of our favorite spots.

I did say we had light winds today, right? Well, that was until just before we arrived at Cambridge. The winds picked up and were out of the northwest so they were coming right down the creek. Our normally protected marina wasn't so protected. The wind pushed the boat past the slip on my first attempt so I aborted it. It was a challenge to get the boat in position again because the wind was pushing me toward the pilings. I decided to head out of the creek a little ways, turn around and try again. If it didnt work the next time I was going to dock the boat bow in. My second attempt was more successful but I did rub up against two of the pilings. I wasn't even upset about it and was happy I was able to get the boat in at all in those conditions.

I do believe my post on Docking, revisited was the kiss of death. I shouldn't have talked about how I was getting better at docking. Lesson learned.

 

Comments

  1. Awesomly beautiful gennaker, good call! Great pictures of Breeze On from your friends boat. You'all are having to much fun being retired I think you should get a job, ha, ha.
    ha.
    Love, Steve and Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahahahahaha. That is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment