Skip to main content

Passage Meals

I tend to get queasy when I spend much time in the galley while we are underway. For that reason I like to have our main meals prepared in advance before we depart. I will prepare casseroles or pasta dishes and place enough for two servings in an aluminum loaf pan. The meal can then be popped in the oven about an hour before we plan to eat it on paper plates, allowing for minimal time in the galley. 

Because we hadn’t originally planned to go to the Bahamas when we left Beaufort I had just two meals prepared in advance.  We did have some soups, though, that I had prepared at home and frozen. I have always avoided soups for passage meals because there are so many opportunities to spill hot soup when the boat is moving every which way. Our experience with yesterday’s meal of soup proved my point. Although I had my hands on my soup bowl, when Breeze On heeled over after being hit by a wave on the beam, some of the soup spilled out onto the table and the floor. Lesson learned. 

Today’s passage meal was a pasta dish—we call it pasta peanut surprise, and it is surprisingly simple and tasty. Since the sea state is worse today than yesterday it was good that we did not have the soup today. 



Today’s passage meal. 




People often ask what is our favorite part of being in the Bahamas. I usually say it is the color of the water. I took this photo off of the stern where the water was 3000 feet deep. As the water gets shallower the color changes and we see so many gorgeous shades of blue. 


Comments