Skip to main content

A New Experience

Well, I had a new experience today, one I hope to never have again. I fell into the water off of the dock ladder. Right after a shark swam by. Here is what happened. George and I returned to Black Point this morning in hopes of having a Christmas dinner at Lorraine’s, as we did last year. We went ashore, tied our dinghy to the main dock and went for a long walk.  At the end of our walk we stopped at Rockside Laundry (closed for the day) and sat outside to see if we could pick up some WiFi (we couldn’t). Then we stopped at Lorraine’s to make sure they were serving Christmas dinner and ask to have our names added to the list. When we returned to the dock there was another dinghy between ours and the ladder. George climbed down into the dinghy from the dock but it was low tide and too low for me to try that. George said he would drive our dinghy around the other dinghy to get to the ladder so I could get in. Then he asked me to climb down the ladder to push the other dinghy out of the way. Since it was low tide I had to climb down to the last step. By that time Doris and Johnny from ‘Bout Time had returned to their dinghy and offered to pull it out of the way but I said I could manage.  I did push their dinghy away with my foot but lost my balance on the slippery step (slippery because it spends most of its time under water). Into the water I went. I was fully clothed with walking shoes, socks, hat, sunglasses and Apple Watch. And I was holding the dry bag that held both of our iPads, and phones. Fortunately, the shark wasn’t interested in me. Also fortunate that the dry bag kept our electronics dry and my watch survived even though it wasn’t set on water mode. I wasn’t hurt, except for a few small scratches on my arm. I am not sure if I got them on the way down or during my effort to get back up the ladder. Johnny grabbed one of my hands and pulled. George grabbed the other and I was able to haul myself into the dinghy. Sorry, there are no photos of me looking like a drowned rat. At least none that we took. There was a large tour group in a boat on the other side of the dock when I went in so I did have quite an audience. 
In case you are wondering, this is the same dock under which our dinghy was submerged last January. We really do like Black Point but I don’t think that dock likes us. 
On a more positive note, we saw a great green flash at sunset last night when anchored at Big Majors. Tonight’s sunset is quite pretty so I will include it in this post. 



Comments