Skip to main content

Overnight Passage to Spanish Wells

We left Hope Town just before noon yesterday to begin a trip to Spanish Wells. We chose Spanish Wells (right next to Eleuthera) as a place to stop as we make our way to the Exumas. The trip was 88 miles and we were afraid we wouldn't be able to complete it and enter Spanish Wells during daylight hours. George suggested an overnight passage and I agreed, even though they have never been my favorite. Aside from the lack of sleep (and I do like my sleep) I actually enjoyed my night watches. There were so many stars in the sky. I also saw phosphorescence for the first time behind the boat. Bioluminescent organisms give off a brief bright light when the water is stirred up. So interesting and pretty.
Spanish Wells is a thriving industrial, fishing and vacation home community. The activity in the harbor reminds me of our home, Cambridge, MD. We picked up a mooring in the tiny, cramped mooring field. We are happy to be the only boat here at the moment.

Comments