Skip to main content

On Our Way

We threw the dock lines off yesterday at 9:04 am. We woke very early (too early, as has been the case for weeks), packed up and readied the boat. I put my favorite quilted vest in our collapsible wagon with the other last minute things to be loaded. I wanted to make sure I didn't forget it. A few minutes before we were to leave I looked for the vest so I could put it on. It wasn't on the boat. I returned to the condo and looked everywhere. It wasn't there, either. I gave up and came back to the boat. Just before we were set to leave George looked down into the water and shouted, "Bev, get the boat hook!" I couldn't imagine why he wanted it. He reached in and pulled out my soggy vest. Apparently, as we were loading the boat it had blown out of the wagon and into the water. Neither one of us had noticed it. At least I had my favorite vest back.

Ray helped us ready the boat and throw off the lines. Bobbie and Sue came to wish us a bon voyage. We exited the creek and immediately encountered winds in the 20's, gusting to 30. It was right on our nose so we motored for the first 2 hours. The water was really rough and waves would periodically crash over the bow. It was not a fun ride. We were very grateful, though, for the enclosure that was keeping us warm and dry. I guess it really was worth the time, money and effort.

After a few hours we were able to turn a bit downwind and that enabled us to sail. We unfurled the jib turned off the engine and sailed along at 6.5 kn. Not bad. It was also a much more comfortable ride. An hour later we turned South in the bay and raised the main with two reefs. The waves were not as choppy so it was even more comfortable.

We reached the end of our first leg, Solomons, and dropped anchor at 4:30. We cleaned some of the salt off of the windows, ate dinner and were in bed by 9:00 pm. It was a peaceful night with very light winds and we slept well.

We were up early again this morning and are now heading to our next stop, Deltavile, VA. The winds are 6-8 kn with calm seas. Much better than yesterday, in my opinion!

Comments