Skip to main content

Cockpit Enclosure Project: Phase One

I became seriously interested in a cockpit enclosure for Breeze On during our Delmarva circumnavigation in May. The air temperature was in the low 60's and the water temperature was in the upper 50's. I couldn't get warm even while wearing 7 layers of clothing at times. An enclosure would protect us from the wind and help keep us warm in the cooler weather. Since it is likely to be cool when we start out for the Bahamas, I would like to have an enclosure made before we start out in November.

This past Spring I bought a Sailrite machine, when the intention of using it on small canvas projects. George suggested I buy it so that I wouldn't ruin my Huskvarna machine (which didn't like sewing canvas one little bit). Now that I own a Sailrite machine I felt compelled to make that cockpit enclosure myself, even though the project seemed overwhelming.

One of the most overwhelming aspects was deciding how to pattern the panels. Our bimini is much larger than our dodger and I couldn't figure out how to connect the two together. Every time I would step on the boat I would look at the area between the bimini and dodger and try to imagine the enclosure. I purchased and watched Sailrite's video, "Make Your Own Full Boat Enclosure". I looked at other sailboats and took photos. I finally decided that if we could install collapsible rigid struts on the bimini and remove the webbing straps, I could make egress doors that would work. One afternoon while on a day sail, I took paper and pencil with me to draw the bimini, dodger and location of the panels. George helped me take the measurements. The drawings have proved to be very useful. I have referred to them several times.

In addition to the enclosure I was also interested in making cockpit shade curtains. I thought I could use the same pattern for the shade curtains and window panels. I decided to make the shade curtains first (out of Phifertex). I would see how they fit, tweak them and then make the window panels from the more expensive window material.

I spent four full days patterning and and making the shade panels. I finally finished all eight panels and I am pleased so far. I made some minor adjustments to the panels transfered those changes onto the patterns.

Here are the steps we have completed so far:

  • Install collapsible grab bars on bimini.
  • Measure, cut and install tails on forward and aft edges of bimini and aft edge of dodger. I used a hang down tail on forward edge of bimini and tuck down tail on aft edge. The Sailrite video, "Make Your Own Bimini", was helpful for this.
  • Install zippers on bimini and dodger.
  • Use Dura Skrim to make patterns.
  • As per the Sailrite instructions, I started with the aft panels. When these were finished I installed them and used them to mark the side panels. Then, I installed the side panels to use for marking the egress panels.

Next up, the window panels.

Patterning the aft panels using Dura Skrim
Egress door panel pattern laid out on Phifertex

 

George did not want to drill holes in Breeze On to attach snaps. The panels are secured using Velcro straps that wrap around the back stay, stern pulpit and bimini supports.

 

 

Comments