Skip to main content

Docking

We have sailed only twice since bringing Breeze On to Cambridge almost two weeks ago. That is much less than we used to sail WindChime. One reason we haven't sailed much is that have been very busy. We returned to New York to pick up my car, then drove my husband's car to Massachusetts to trade it for our daughter's car. Then my husband helped to sail a friend's boat from Norfolk to Cambridge.

Another reason is that we still aren't very good at docking and we are waiting for light winds to practice leaving and returning to the slip. Our first time out since bringing Breeze On to Cambridge went very well. We asked friends Dawn and Ray to join us and lend their expertise. After they helped to release the lines we had a lovely sail to La Trappe Creek. We dropped an anchor and enjoyed a peaceful lunch.

We sailed back to Cambridge and made it into the slip without any issues. I was at the helm and George, Dawn and Ray handled the lines. I was so relieved and excited that it went well.

Next, George and I went down to the boat last Monday with the plan to take her out on our own. The winds were over 10 knots and we just didn't have the courage to attempt it by ourselves. On Tuesday we went back when the winds were very light. We got out of the slip without any problems but I was a nervous wreck by the time we did. George was pulling on the bow lines to bring the boat closer to the pilings so he could hang them on the hooks. As he did, the stern swung on the other direction and I was worried about getting out of the slip without scraping the stern on the pilings. All was well, though. I straightened her out and we headed into the river and raised our sails.

There was so little wind that we just drifted. The schooner, Pride of Baltimore, was right behind us. She was such a beautiful sight.

Pride of Baltimore (motor sailing)

 

We eventually got into a little more breeze and started to move. As we ran out of breeze we turned around to head toward a buoy and practice the maneuvers listed in the ebook, Maneuvering Under Power.http://www.nauticed.org/sailingcourses/view/maneuvering-under-power

Unfortunately the wind had really started to build by then. That meant we would have to cope with the wind when we were attempting to dock the boat for the first time without help.

I backed into the slip but decided to abort my first attempt. The second attempt started out well. Breeze On was straight backing in and George was able to quickly attach the first spring line on the windward side. He had trouble getting the second spring line off of the piling as the wind was blowing the bow leeward. I was in a kind of diagonal position about a third of the way into the slip. I was trying to use the bow thruster to straighten the boat out before I backed in any more but it just wouldn't move. It took about a minute for me to figure out I still had the boat in forward gear. One of our dock mates, John, had come over to help and was able to get the spring line to George. I finally straightened the boat out and backed the rest of the way in. As we docked we nudged up against a few pilings (thank goodness they are padded) but did not do any noticeable damage. It wasn't a pretty docking but we made it in. George did a good job of grabbing and attaching the lines. I didn't feel good about my part of it, though. My confidence was shaken by not realizing what gear I had the boat in.

Our plan is to practice, practice, practice in light winds until it becomes more second nature to us. Then (we hope) we will be able to take Breeze On out in windier conditions and return her safely to her slip.

 

Comments