Skip to main content

Day Two--Atlantic Highlands to Cape May

Another eventful day. I could do with a little boredom right now. We weighed anchor in Atlantic Highlands at 9:45 am and headed over to the fuel dock to add water to our water tank and top off the fuel. We brought up the anchor without any trouble. I was at the helm and George was operating the winch. Suky was coaching us both. George thought the entire anchoring procedure (dropping it and bringing it up) was much easier than expected. He was able to rinse the anchor and the chain with our salt water deck wash. I was at the helm when we pulled into the fuel dock and was able to do it without crashing the boat. Hooray! The young men at the fuel dock were nice enough to let us fill up the 80 gallon water tank and wash the salt water off the boat without charge.

Next, we left the harbor, raised the mainsail and practiced reefing the sail. As we began raising the sail Suki noticed that the halyard was not attached to the sail. The locking shackle did not appear to lock. George used a short piece of line to attach the halyard. At noon we left Raritan Bay and headed out into the Atlantic Ocean for the trip along the New Jersey shore. We decided to make it an overnight trip, with Cape May or Lewes, DE our destination. The winds were out of the South, instead of the predicted West, so were motored most of the day. By 7:45 pm the winds had shifted enough to the west that we were able to raise the sails and turn off the engine. We put one reef in the mainsail as a precaution in case the winds picked up during the night. My watch started at 8:00 pm and was to go until 11:00 pm. I was a bit nervous to be alone in the cockpit at night but willing to give it a try. Suky stayed with me for about a 1/2 hour and then went to bed. The winds stayed between 12 and 15 knots throughout most of my watch and I kept my eye on a few barges in the distance. I didn't bother setting the timer to remind me to get up and look 360 degrees every 10 or 15 minutes because I found myself looking around every five minutes at least. I tacked a few times to try to stay on course and follow the wind shifts. It felt a little freaky to be tacking in the dark. About 5 minutes before my watch was to end the winds built to 17 knots and then 20 knots. Suky came up to relieve me from my watch. The winds continued to build as we worked on putting another reef in the mainsail. I did not have a headlamp and found it very difficult to find anything and see what the sails were doing. At one point the jib started luffing a lot and I thought I had somehow inadvertently released the jib sheet. I winched it in. We got the reef in with some difficulty and then tried to winch the main sheet to bring the boom closer to the center line. As I was winching it in I heard a loud clunk. We noticed that the boom was pressing on the bimini and couldn't figure out why. Eventually things calmed down and I went to bed. The seas were pretty rough so I started out resting on the settee and eventually moved into the v-berth when the seas calmed a bit. I set my alarm for 5:00 am for my next watch and was able to sleep pretty well. When I came up at 5:00 to relieve George he told me that the seas had been very calm, there were no squalls, he had sailed most of the time and there were very few other boats to watch. Figures! He was concerned that the jib had felt different when he had furled it so he walked up to the bow after daylight to check on it. He found that a shackle had broken off of one of the blocks on the jib sheet. That explains the sudden luffing of the jib from the night before. Then, even worse, he found that the boom vang was bent about 70 degrees.

 

That explains the loud clunk from the night before. We both feel bad that we broke the boat and I feel bad that it happened on my watch. Although the jib shackle and the boom should certainly be able to handle 25 knot winds without breaking, I shouldn't have used the electric winches to tighten them so hard. I also should have been checking the radar on my watch to be better prepared for the squall. This experience has really triggered my part that feels responsible. A friend and former WindChime crew member, Julia, taught me the acronym, AFGO. For those who don't already know it, it stands for Another F#*+ing Growth Opportunity. I think I have had enough for a little while. My perspective may change as time goes on but today I am not enjoying the cruising life.

I watched the radar obsessively this morning (of course) and saw that a large group of storms were heading right down the Delaware Bay toward us and our destination. We woke Suky early to consult with her and she decided to head for Cape May where we are now anchored. Of course, the storm never arrived and it is quiet and calm here. Nevertheless, it was nice to shower, eat sloppy joes for brunch (last night's dinner) and nap for a bit. I should mention that I am grateful I did not get seasick. I had been worried about it before we left. I used Seaband acupressure bands and took over the counter Bonine as preventatives. I should also mention that I am grateful we are all still alive and on the boat, have all of our digits and limbs and that Breeze On is still floating. Tomorrow we plan to enter the Delaware Bay. Here's hoping it is an uneventful day with no AFGO's.

 

 

Comments

  1. I feel your frustration and fatigue, here. Hang in there. Sounds like you are learning a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment