Skip to main content

Awnings 2.0

The awnings I made in 2016 were a disappointment. The one that covered the v berth hatch was too small. The rain would bounce of the deck and into the hatch. The design I came up with for the salon hatch awning, attaching it to the sail cover with Velcro, didn’t work. I remade it while were in the Bahamas last year but it was still the wrong size and shape. This past summer I started over and made new awnings. Since I was starting over I used Stamoid fabric instead of Weathermax. I made the v berth awning as large as I could and I redesigned the size and shape of the salon awnings. I am happy to say that they both work! The v berth awning covers enough of the deck surrounding the hatch that water doesn’t bounce off of the deck into the hatch. I used rings of spectra line instead of stainless rings for the bungee cord attachment points. That way, if the awning flaps and hits the deck in a strong wind it won’t damage the deck. We tend to use the v berth awning much more than the salon awning. When we go to bed we close the salon hatch, but we are able to keep the v berth hatch open. We no longer have to do the “close hatches/open hatches, close hatches/open hatches” dance when squalls come through at night. 

NOTE:  I wasn’t able to post this with a photo so I will try to post without one. If I figure out what the problem is I will post the photo later. 





Comments