Skip to main content

Coffee Cake

We had squalls all morning yesterday so I thought it would be a good time to bake something. I have always liked to bake but found that I didn’t like baking on the boat. The past two winters I would occasionally bake blueberry muffins for George to eat for breakfast and that has been about it. This past summer we purchased an Omni Stovetop Oven for the galley. I used it once to make a quiche and it worked very well. The biggest advantage of the Omni is that it doesn’t heat up the galley as much as the oven. I recently had an idea to convert the blueberry coffee muffins into a blueberry streusel coffee cake baked in the Omni. Before I leave home I package up a few vacuum bags of the blueberry muffin mix: Bisquick, sugar, dried egg crystals, powdered milk and a separate small bag of freeze dried blueberries. This saves searching all over the boat for the ingredients. I thought I could make up some streusel with the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and butter I have on board. I had some leftover hard sauce I had made to put on top of rum cake we had bought from the laundromat for our Christmas Eve dinner. I put that on top of the coffee cake as a glaze. The coffee cake was a big success. George declares it delicious. 
Throughout the morning we noticed that the wind had shifted just a little south of east and the anchorage was getting rolly. We decided to take the two mile walk over to town and look at the conditions in Black Point harbor. It looked much better. We returned to Breeze On, hauled up the dinghy, raised the anchor and motored back to Black Point. It is indeed much better here. Last evening we went to Scorpio’s for happy hour and met several other cruisers there. It was raining when we left. After our experience on Christmas Day when the squalls went on and on, we decided not to wait for this one to stop. By the time we got back to Breeze On and hauled the dinghy up we were soaked. 

Blueberry Streusel Coffee Cake

Omni Stovetop Oven

Comments