Saturday, June 24, 2017

New V-berth Sheets

By the time we returned from the Bahamas it was clear that we needed new sheets. I altered sheets to fit the V-berth when we first started sailing Breeze On. It was quite a difficult project but was worth it in the end. This time I made a pattern using leftover pieces of Dura Skrim. I purchased two sets of king size sheets. I removed the elastic from the fitted sheet and opened up the seams on the wider end. I cut the sheets using the pattern, sewed the corners and sewed a wide piece of ribbon on the foot end of the sheet. (George requested this to make it easier to figure out which end is which when making the bed). I then made the casing for the elastic and reinstalled the elastic I had removed. I used the same pattern to cut the top sheet into a shape that fit the mattress. I cut a square of fabric to sew to the end and sides of the bottom to form a "pocket" for the foot of the mattress. I repeated the whole process with the second set of sheets so we now have a spare set.  

Bimini Window

Another recent sewing project involved repairing and adjusting the bimini. I shortened the zippers for the side enclosure panels so they could be attached inside the bimini supports. The panels are now much easier to put up and take down. I repaired a small tear in the bimini. 
Finally, I installed a window in the bimini so that we can see the main sail. I also made a cover for the window that attaches with Velcro on all four sides.  George had the brilliant idea to add 2 short pieces of Velcro on the other side of the cover so that it can also be rolled up.  The window had to be located in the center because of the solar panels. It is not ideal, but it is better than nothing!