Skip to main content

Getting Back Into the Dinghy

Going swimming or snorkeling from the dinghy can be fun. Getting back into the dinghy--not so much. We brought a small 2-step rope ladder with us that we thought would work as our dinghy ladder. We didn't think to try it out on the dinghy before we left home. When we tried it after we snorkeled the other day and couldn't make it work. George was able to use his fins to kick up onto the side of the dinghy and the pull himself the rest of the way. I have tried that before and wasn't able to do it. After I wasn't able to get in using the ladder I tried using the outboard as a step. I had heard about doing that from other people. The problem was, our dinghy is rather small. After I hoisted myself up by stepping on the motor I became wedged between the motor and the side of the dinghy. I was stuck. I eventually got free and maneuvered my leg over the motor. Not before cutting my knee, though. There had to be a better way. I had seen a video of a woman doing a backwards somersault
by hanging onto the dinghy handles with her upper back against the dinghy, dropping her head in the water while flipping her legs up and over the side and into the dinghy. In desperation I gave it a try. I failed on my first attempt and couldn't lift my upper body out of the water. On my next attempt, George grabbed one of my legs once it was in the dinghy and that gave my enough leverage to lift my head out of the water and get the rest of the way in. Not exactly fun but it will do until we get a ladder that works.

Comments