Skip to main content

We LOVE our Solar Panels

Last weekend we anchored out for two nights. While we were there we tested our new solar panels. They were a big success. We had just three out of four of them installed. We made a rather last-minute decision to go out (more about that later) and George couldn't find the last connector before we left the dock.

No problem, the batteries were fully charged by early afternoon using just three 100 watt panels. Granted, it was a very sunny weekend but we were still very happy. George decided that I should make lapel extensions for two of the panels. In spite of all of our careful measurements the lapels for two of the panels did not fit over the connectors. (You can see that in the first photo.)

The smart controllers seemed to do a good job managing the voltage and amperage going into the batteries. There were times when the solar panels were putting out a voltage higher than 14 volts. The controllers would reduce the voltage to 14 and thereby increase the amperage going into the batteries. No wasted electricity!

The weather couldn't have been nicer while we were anchored. It was in the upper 70's, sunny and with low humidity. Since it was a holiday weekend we shared the anchorage with quite a few other boats. The Trippe Creek anchorage has plenty of space to spread out so there was room for everyone.

The boats in this raft-up maxed out at 14. All but two left later in the evening. There were eight or nine boats around us each night.

While we were there George tried out his new ATN Mast Climber. He was able to hoist himself up to the spreaders to measure the length of line he will need for burgee halyards.

We also tried our new cockpit shades. They help make the cockpit much more comfortable in the early morning and late afternoon.
 

In the evening we used our Luci Inflatable Solar Light. It holds its power for a long time and puts out a lot of very nice light.

*******

I mentioned that we made a last-minute decision to anchor out. Since I received my breast cancer diagnosis we have had to work around two biopsies and several other appointments prior to my surgery. I had my second biopsy last week and wasn't sure I would be up to going out for a sail. At the last minute I decided I would be able to sail.

I am writing this post as I recover from the lumpectomy I had yesterday. Since I had some trouble with both of the biopsies I want to be sure I don't do anything too strenuous after the surgery that will impact my recovery. I am hoping it won't be too long before I can get out on Breeze On.

 

Comments

  1. Looks like the installation went pretty well. I hope you don't mind me asking, but since you're on a boat, how do you adjust for the change of seasons? Anyway, I'm glad everything's working out pretty nicely for you guys. Thanks for sharing your adventures with us. Happy sailing! :)

    Rachael Massey @ Auto Controls

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment