Skip to main content

Practice, Practice, Practice

We set the alarm for 6:30 am on Saturday so we could begin docking practice while the winds were still very light. We ate a quick breakfast and made it to the boat before 7:30. After we removed covers, opened through hulls and reviewed our checklist we started up the engine for our first practice session. George threw off the spring lines and bow lines and I threw off the stern lines. I removed the stern lines before George was finished with the bow lines and the boat started to shift in the slip. I made it out with just a little nudge on one of the (padded) pilings. I drove out of the fairway and into the main fairway so I could turn around. I decided to back into our fairway and then into the slip. My first attempt went well. I drove very slowly and did nudge a piling just a bit. The wind had picked up to 6-7 knots but decided to practice again anyway.

This time I decided to hold onto the last stern line until George had finished releasing all of the other lines. That did help keep the boat straight in the slip. I left the slip and again turned around in the main fairway to dock the boat again. As I used the bow thruster to straighten the boat for the approach I thought the port stern was too close to the piling so I aborted the attempt. George had already picked up some lines so he dropped them into the water as I pulled away. I began backing toward the slip again and had the same issue with being too close to the piling. I put the boat in forward and pulled out into the fairway again. By this time I was feeling really rattled. I put the boat in reverse as I entered the main fairway to avoid getting too close to the dock on the other side of the fairway but, instead of reverse I put it in forward. George yelled and I realized my mistake and got the boat in reverse before we hit the dock. At this point I asked George to take the helm. I was feeling nervous and hopeless that I was going to be able to get us back at all. I thought of asking George to drive her in but I didn't want to handle the lines, either. There was a part of me that just wanted to drive or sail around forever and never return. George went out into the channel and then eventually turned around. I took the helm and a big breath and tried again. I was finally able to get her in but didn't feel at all confident.

We set our alarms again on Sunday morning for another practice session. I was able to get Breeze On out without touching any pilings. After I turned around to go back to the slip I gave myself a pep talk. I decided to approach the slip from just a little farther away and wait before I began using the bow thruster. This helped keep the stern from getting too close to the piling. I got her in without touching any pilings!!!! George did get a spring line mixed up but quickly recovered and got her tied up quickly before she had time to drift. Although I felt very happy about the job I did and much more confident, I realized my heart was pounding and my hands were shaking a little. Docking is nerve-wracking stuff. We each decided not to practice again. It was so much better to end on a good note!

Comments