Skip to main content

Cruisers University!

Last weekend, April 24-27, my husband and I attended four full days of Cruisers University in Annapolis. I spent most of my time attending workshops led by Pam Wall and Kathy Parsons. They are both so knowledgeable, warm, helpful and humorous that the four days just flew by. I spent first two days in a Women and Cruising seminar that covered all sorts of topics related to cruising. On one of those mornings we spent 90 minutes below decks on a beautiful Hylas 54 learning about the Diesel engine and the electrical systems.

Primary fuel filters on the Hylas 54

Then I spent 90 minutes above decks reviewing all of the boat parts, practicing tying knots and learning about anchoring. Pam and Kathy demonstrated a fool-proof method for throwing a dock line. I also learned about typical days when coastal cruising, making a passage and when in port. Other workshops focused on provisioning, cooking, "what works" and preparing for blue water sailing. My final two workshops were about sailing to and in the Bahamas. I was so excited about sailing in the Bahamas that I was ready to leave immediately! I am so grateful to Pam and Kathy for everything I learned. I am also grateful to have made some new sailing friends there.

My husband spent two days learning about Diesel engines. He spent the next two days attending various workshops on weather, a favorite topic for him.

After attending Cruisers University I feel much less intimidated by the steep learning curve although I do still have so much to learn.

 

Comments